Saturday, April 1, 2017

Ceiling fan remote control holder

We have ceiling fans in a couple of rooms, but the remote controls lived on the bed or some furniture far from the door, and with no other lights in the room it was pretty inconvenient. So for my first original project I designed a bracket to mount the remote on the wall just inside the door.

This was before I learned about parametric design, so it's all hard-dimensioned in Fusion 360. The first couple of versions were based on combining rectangular components and came out pretty ugly. I had problems getting them to penetrate each other well enough that they would result in good joints when printed.

Then I learned about spline curves and such and totally redesigned it and it looks a lot nicer. I learned about holes and countersinking, and centering and copying features. One remaining issue is that there's a "bridge" between the two sides where the back joins in, and the filament droops a bit. But it's on the bottom and the back, and the remote hides it completely, so I just left it that way.

It turned out the remote in another room (same manufacturer, different model) fits nicely in it, so I printed a couple more for that room. Nice to be able to just reprint them on demand!

I've shared this design on Thingiverse here.

No, I didn't print it in blue for actual use. This is a trial print!

No comments:

Post a Comment