Sunday, September 3, 2017

Squishy turtles




I saw these featured on Thingiverse and thought they were such a cool design I wanted to try them out. I really like clever designs that move or have hidden features. And I hadn't printed any multi-part objects, so I wanted to learn about fitting things together. (This one includes a little H-shaped clip which attaches the shells together.)











The head retracts, like any turtle should do, and you push on the tail to pop it back out again.






The clever parts of this design are the built-in springs that allow the legs to move, which is what makes these turtles "springy". And there's a nice little spring to put pressure on the head-tail part so it doesn't slide in and out too easily.













I also liked the idea of printing the upper shells (carapace) in different colors than the head, legs, and plastron. That was an excuse good reason to go buy some bright green and orange filament.





I printed one of each part in each color and then mixed them up. When I arranged them together to print a batch, the first layers looked like some exotic creature or alien holding an oar or weapon. I had some fun getting my FaceBook friends to guess what it was going to turn into in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment